Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Price of Adventure

Well, one step forward, two steps back.
We moved Liam into a toddler bed when we moved here to the new house. Big mistake. He was not really ready and though it caused no real emotional issues we did have, shall we say, issues of the wandering out in the morning and playing in the cat litter variety. So I had to devise an alarm system for his door. After a week or so, he stopped wandering out of his room. Great. I took the bells off and we have chugged along with no other issues.
Or so I thought.
Three days ago, I put Liam down for a nap and then went in to take a shower. When I was drying off, I heard him yelling his, sweet and innocent, "Mama". The call that says, I slept and now I am sitting here and waiting for you to come and get me and hug me and tell me what a good boy I am.
But he didn't, he wasn't and he most definitely wasn't.
Here's the scene when I walked into his room:
Toy box open and toys strewn everywhere.
Fan off.
Light on.
Kid in the middle of the room with a gun in one hand and a shit-eating grin on his face.
You guys? I know how he plays and I can tell you that he was out of that bed and causing mayhem from the time the door hit its frame as I was on my way out. He got in trouble and seemed contrite so I thought we had this issue settled.
Silly Rabbit . . . Trix are for kids.
Tonight.
Bedtime routine.
All goes well.
Les and I are just sitting down to a movie when Ev comes down the hall and says, "Guys, Liam is in my room." And we were all like, "Aww hells no."
But he was.
As we walked down the hall, we saw this little figure dart into Liam's room and try to close the door. We got there, opened the door and what to our wondering eyes appeared?
Well it was one little man and another gun.
The light was on.
The fan was off. The curtains were opened.
His step stool was out.
Yes.
Yes, he got out of bed, illuminated the scene, played, got bored, and decided to go get Sissy.
Looking back, it was the getting Sissy that did him in. He forgot she works for the Other Team.
Now, the Little Recidivist is back in his crib.
Considering the Refinement of his techniques and the fact that he went down the criminal spiral from a Misdemeanor to Mischief with Intent, it had to be done.

We had him stand there and watch as we took his big boy bed out and reconstructed his crib at 10 pm. Yes we did. The fact that we made him watch does not make us mean but, the fact that we enjoyed it? Well, that MIGHT qualify as Cruel and Unusual, but he had a tough Judge and a Public Defender.


1 comment: