Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Most Irritating Little Thank You Note

Just recently we decided to add another day to Evelyn's gymnastic routine. The main reason for doing so is simply that she wanted to, and since she loves it so and we had no real reason to say no, we did. The funny thing about her is, and this is one of the things that I love best about her, is that she got in a flash, that it would be more money and more time and effort on our parts to get her there. She realized it meant her little brother would have to do more waiting and killing time, she realized that it meant a bit more work for her Mama and all without us saying a single word about this to her, that's just how she is, how she has always been. I actually wish she were a bit more blissfully unaware, she would be able to be more care free.
Well, so... I take her up for her first three day week and we get home and she is so happy and full of gymnastic fervor that she creates a little thank you note for me, this is also something she has done from the youngest age. Oh, how she loves to give a good thank you note!
In the note, she drew a daisy and a rose for me. They were beautiful flowers and put in the card because she knows I love those two flowers particularly. Though on her second or third inspection of the note, she noticed that she had forgotten to include briars on the rose. Now this irritated the little perfectionist and we had to have a conversation about it, of course.
So she says to me, "But it's ok Mama because heh heh not EVERY rose has a thorn."
......
And then my brain split into two warring factions. One side remained the almost 40 year old Mama with great taste in music and a desire to look after her child's feelings and the other side? Wehehehellll.....the other side turned back the clock and became the Eighties Baby with big hair, acid wash and a penchant for listening to Poison.
And an epic battle ensued in my brain.
I heard a dull roar.
My vision darkened.
The Eighties Baby actually won! (must've been all that Aqua Net)
and my head, still kind of out of my control, jerkingly looked toward her...
And my mouth opened...
And I sang...
"Every rose has its thorn..."
She turned and looked at me and said "whaaa...?"
And I went on!
"Just like every night has its dawn.."
Now I was in the moment, shameless and uncaring of the damage I may have been doing!
"Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song.
 Every rose has its thorn. Yeah it does."
(insert big finish)(there may or may not have been some air guitar with a broom)
She just wandered away vaguely.

That damn song has now been stuck in my head for a day and a half.
I should have been worried about myself.
I don't know if I can survive it again.

1 comment:

  1. **Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.**
    As a recently-turned-40 '80s baby, I was already singing it in my head before I even got to the part where you started! :-) Priceless!

    ReplyDelete