Saturday, November 13, 2010

Situational Awareness

My daughter is highly intelligent. Can you hear the "But" in that statement?
Yes, Ev is about the sharpest knife in the drawer, BUT, I swear, she is absolutely clueless about situational awareness.
Oh, you want an example? I just happen to have a hundred.....
After an incredibly long and difficult day with The Prince of Whine, I was in the kitchen making dinner. Now, the day was so bad that breakfast and lunch were both fraught with mini-disasters. You know the kind, milk boiling up and out of a cup all over the microwave, dropped eggs landing cheese-side down on the freshly mopped floor. Things that aren't that bad but when they happen in clusters, all day, you can feel your self-control slipping. The fact that as all of this happened with a very loud and distinct sound track? Well, it just gets better and better.
So yeah. Dinner time. There I am in the kitchen with The Queen of Re-caps ( no kidding, she even re-caps her facial expressions if you missed them--hell even if you didn't) and The Prince of Whine and I sort of--cough cough--lost it. I sent them streaking out of the kitchen with a bellow and an expletive (I AM highly evolved).
Not 30 seconds later she comes walking back in handing me a dish towel. A dish towel that she had to walk in and pick up from a perfectly respectable resting location on the counter. She came in, picked up a dish towel that no one needed, and handed it to me. Or tried to anyway.
I had just yelled and sent them out of the kitchen! What sane child would willingly re-enter a room with a raging hornet of a mother? Honestly.
Sometimes I have a sneaking suspicion that she DOES have SA but she just likes messing with my head.
That couldn't be it.
Could it?

No comments:

Post a Comment