Thursday, January 6, 2011

Last Year.....

On January 5 last year I was watching a Miles Davis documentary with Ev and Les was outside shoveling a mountain of snow out of the driveway. In the middle of a quiet afternoon, my phone rang.
It was 'the call". The referral call for a little guy named Dang Ao Zhuang.
I said yes before Les even knew I was on the phone.
An e-mail with a picture was sent. I looked at his face. I felt quiet and still inside. A little afraid. A lot nervous. But I knew. He was my son.

We waited until July to travel and meet him. He has been home almost 5 months now. Our coming together has been rough and easy, sublime and yet, a struggle. He came to us a 2 year old and that itself has thrown a wrench into MY plans. I am letting those plans go. I am worrying less about tomorrow and just letting us come together each day. A little bit here, a little bit there. I love him though. Desperately, madly. He is so sweet and such a pleasure on many levels. 
I am glad that I said yes. I am glad that my heart understood what my head did not. I am glad that we stepped out into the breach and reached for this little guy. 
My Liam. 

3 comments: