Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hearts + Sick = February So Far




Happy Valentine's Day!
I think the annual day of sweets was a hit around here. The kids woke up (one of them extremely early- like 6am early) and found a basket of goodies for each of them. They have been ingesting chocolate and conversation hearts at an alarming rate ever since. 

There is something that I love about this holiday and it's not really about the chocolates (well it is, but that's not all) or the forced feeling of romance- for me it's about taking time to brighten up what is usually a very dull and gray month. It's about getting to decorate using sweet little hearts and the colors red and pink all mashed up together. 
It's about taking an opportunity to spoil the heck out of my kids. 

Lissa and Brev and The Grandparents jumped in on the action and sent a box full of goodies too. That arrived a few days ago- on a day when both kids were feeling very low and sickly and it was just the thing to cheer them up.

The kids are on the tail end of a very nasty little bug that Papa brought home. The Doctor was reluctant to say, "Pneumonia",  but I feel certain that is where they were or where they were headed -quickly. After three days of antibiotics- they were both still running high fevers. And the coughing- oh the coughing. They almost ended up with a late night run to the ER but my nurse head kicked in and told my Mama's heart to wait until morning. We waited, and they both woke up fever free and almost back to normal. 

Mama is on the front end of the same bug and feeling very sorry for herself indeed. I did dose myself up with some high powered cold medicine and essentially lost 24 hours to a drugged haze but when I emerged- the nasty cold was still here. Oh joy.  So you know. You can fight for a solid year to get yourself diagnosed with a thyroid issue, start taking your meds, feel good for about 47.5 hours and then get hit with a cold from hell that wipes you out. I told you that I was feeling sorry for myself. I warned you. I did.  
Oh! Plus I had the bonus of being "hormonal" and thus used energy I didn't really have to fight with Les and that meant that I ended up exhausted from crying, a cold headache, a migraine and both nostrils completely plugged with snot and swelling. That was fun. Les thought so too. I could tell. He loves when I loose all rationality and attack him out of the blue while cleaning out the refrigerator. It's almost his favorite thing in life. Also I looked really hawt. 

cough cough

Where was I? Oh yes. The adorableness of my kids. Valentine's Day. Candy. 
I am heading back to my hovel on the couch to mouth breathe, play Ragdoll Blaster and eat the occasional chocolate. Ok. You've got me- probably more than an occasional chocolate but there is no one here to count it and if I cleverly disguise the wrappers in the trash...the calories won't even count. Did you know that? Now you do. You are very welcome.





1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I am also in the depths of this miserable cold that will not let me go. I have been wearing a hat for 2 weeks as my right ear has been permantely plugged and aches. Thump, thump someone/something is knocking on my head. I hope you (we) soon feel better.
    P.S. could you send over some chocolates pleeze

    ReplyDelete