Tuesday, December 7, 2010

David

Today my Uncle David died. He was the youngest of my mom's three brothers.
I am not sure of the entire story yet, but the details do not really matter. My Uncle is gone.
I haven't seen much of him for years upon years. My military life keeps me moving and not always close to family.
But when I was a young girl? He was simply the coolest Uncle. I remember a tall, tanned, long haired young man in his prime. I remember the cool rock-n-roll music he listened to. I remember the way he looked driving his Iroc-Zs and Trans-Ams. I remember being picked up to go spend the night with Uncle David and Aunt Lori. I remember a soft spoken man with a quiet laugh. I remember someone who always took the time to be kind to me.
This family of mine is big and has many branches and I am sure that everyone on our tree is hurting tonight as we ask ourselves why we are one less. I am sure that the pain my Grandmother's heart feels must be nearly unbearable. I am sure that his daughter's world is flipped upside down, never to seem quite right again.
Today a son was lost. A father is gone. A brother has left. An Uncle has passed.
I can not really process the events of the day. The incongruity of shopping for food and toys, out among the carols and lights, while grief swirls within my heart and mind is almost more than I can grasp.
He was a good Uncle. He will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. I lost 2 aunts this year so I understand your loss. And I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete